The Sailung trek, following the Indigenous People Trail, takes you through the pristine Dolakha region located six hours drive from Kathmandu. This beautiful district lies at the foot of the Himalayas. You will see hardworking farmers, terraced rice fields, picturesque villages, clear rivers and beautiful views of the eastern peaks of the Himalayas.
During your hike you will get a unique, lively view into one of the most diverse cultural areas of Nepal. You will get to know at least six indigenous communities in this region: Sherpa, Newar, Thami, Tamang, Yolmo and Majhis. The Thami and the Majhis can only be found in this region of Nepal.
There is little tourism in this region. So you hardly meet any other hikers. You usually spend the night in fairly simple homestays or community lodges.
During the Sailung trek the landscape is hilly. But the paths are easy to walk. Moreover, you don’t ascend to great heights. This is an ideal trek for beginners or families. Also for anyone who is strongly interested in the local culture and still wants to see the Himalayas up close.
Would you like to customize your Nepal trip?
Let yourself be inspired by this trip. You can adjust the trip to your individual preferences and wishes.
- Gorgeous view of the Himalayas from Sailung: from the Makalu to the Dhaulagiri
- In clear weather you have a view of Mount Everest and the Terai lowlands in the South
- Unique view in the daily life of at least 6 indigenous people and their culture
- Interesting mix of Hinduism and Buddhism, so that in every village there is a Lama and a Shaman
- You’ll hardly meet any other trekkers, which makes it a very intense and unforgettable trekking.